Handy cleaning hints using Rock Salt.
click on image to enlarge [+]
- Fish Bait: Rock salt acts as a preservative to help fish bait stay fresh and reduce odour. Rock salt is great for camping and boating where fish bait can not be refrigerated. For each two kilos of fish bait, cover with one kilo of rock salt.
- Barbeque Cleaning: Sprinkle rock salt over barbeque hot plate with the heat on low. Using a fish slice, stir every 5 minutes for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water after cleaning.
- Wine Stains: A fine white wine is hard to appreciate when it stains your nicest shirt. Immediately pour enough salt directly on the stain to soak up the white wine. Soak the shirt for half an hour in cold water then use as per usual with laundry powder.
- Scouring Powder: Use rock salt on a damp sponge for a mild but effective scouring powder for cleaning general household surfaces.
- Kitchen Cleaning: To help clean kitchen cupboards, make a paste of rock salt, baking soda and lemon juice. Use a sponge to apply and then rinse off. This helps remove stains and odours.
- Coffee Pot Stains: To help clean coffee stains off the inside of a glass coffee pot, mix four teaspoons of rock salt, a cup of crushed ice and a teaspoon of water. Gently swirl inside a cold coffee pot until clean, then rinse several times before using.