Vinegar handy hints for cooking.
click on image to enlarge [+]
- Poaching Eggs: Add a teaspoon of white or cider vinegar to the water when poaching eggs. This helps egg whites stay better formed.
- Boiling Eggs: Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the water before boiling to help prevent eggs from cracking.
- Meringues: Add quarter of a teaspoon of white vinegar to 3 egg whites for fluffy meringues.
- Tender Beef: When boiling beef, add a tablespoon of wine , white or cider vinegar to the water to help soften fibres and make it tender.
- Rice: Add a teaspoon of vinegar to water when it boils for fluffy rice.
- Tenderising Marinades: The acid in vinegar helps tenderise meat. Use a quarter of a cup of vinegar for a 2-3 pound roast, marinate overnight, then cook without draining or rinsing the meat.
- Cut Vegetables: To stop cut vegetables from browning before cooking, soak them in half water and half vinegar solution straight after cutting.
- Freshen Vegetables: To help freshen up wilted vegetables, soak in 2 cups of water and a tablespoon of vinegar.
- Cooking Odours: Simmer water and vinegar in a pot to clear strong smells.