Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) has an ancient origin, going back to the Inca civilization. Back then it was revered as the mother of all grains. This superfood is highly nutritious.
click on image to enlarge [+]
1 3/4 Cups Uncooked Quinoa
2 3/4 Cups Vegetable Stock or Water
4 Small Leeks
1/2 Canned Tomatoes (or 2 tomatoes)
1/4 Cup Currants
2 Tbsps Dried Apricots, chopped
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric
1 Avocado, peeled and sliced
1. Slice leeks in half lengthwise and wash. Chop cross-wise into thin slices.
2. Rinse quinoa thoroughly.
3. Stir-fry leeks until they are limp. Add spices and mix well.
4. Add the rinsed quinoa and cook for a couple of minutes.
5. Add vegetable stock or water, tomatoes, currants and dried apricots. Bring to the boil.
6. Lower heat, simmer covered for 15-20 minutes until cooked. Add sliced avocado just before serving.
Always rinse quinoa thoroughly before cooking. Rinse under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain well. During cooking, quinoa increases 3-4 times in volume.