Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) has an ancient origin, going back to the Inca civilization. Back then it was revered as the mother of all grains. This superfood is highly nutritious.
click on image to enlarge [+]
3/4 Cup Uncooked Quinoa
1 1/2 Cups Water
1 Cup Carrots, diced
1/2 Cup Red or Yellow Capsicum, chopped
1/2 Cup Pumpkin, cubed and steamed
2 Small Onions or Spring Onions, chopped
1/4 Cup Whole Kernel Corn
2 Tbsps Lemon Juice or Lime Juice
1 1/2 Tbsps Tamari or Soy Sauce
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp Chilli Sauce (optional)
1. Rinse quinoa under running water and drain well.
2. Bring quinoa and water to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
3. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes with the lid still on. Fluff quinoa with a fork, leave to cool.
4. Mix carrots, corn, capsicum, pumpkin and onion in a large bowl. Add cooled quinoa and toss to combine.
5. Whisk lemon or lime juice, tamari or soy sauce, garlic and chilli sauce (optional). Pour over quinoa and mix well.
Toast quinoa in a dry frying pan (or pot used to boil it in) stirring constantly, for 5 minutes before cooking to give a roasted flavour. To cook, use 2 parts liquid to 1 part quinoa.