This delicious loaf is very moist and keeps well but also nice with a light spread of butter.
click on image to enlarge [+]
1 Cup Dates, chopped
1 Cup Boiling Water
3/4 Cup White Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 Large Tbsp Butter
2 Cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Golden Syrup
1. Finely chop dried dates.
2. Put dates, sugar, baking soda and butter in a bowl.
3. Pour over boiling water and mix. Leave to cool.
4. Once mixture has cooled, add the flour, egg, baking powder and golden syrup. Mix altogether.
5. Spread into a loaf tine lined with baking paper.
6. Bake at 170°C for about 45 minutes or until cooked.
Buy diced dates instead of whole dates. Warm the tablespoon under hot water to easily measure the golden syrup.